A health alert has been issued following a heatwave in Melbourne, which has caused temperatures to spike above 40 degrees celsius for five days. Diane Leow reports.
The City of Melbourne has issued a Heat Health Alert for Friday, January 17 2014, following weather forecasts that temperatures will soar above the heat health threshold.
Those in Melbourne are advised to stay indoors, turn on the air-conditioning, and drink lots of water to stay healthy.
Further steps you can take to prevent heat-related illness include:
- Use sun protection, including SPF 30+ sunscreen, and wear a hat
- Avoid the sun from 11am to 4pm
- Visit the local pool
- Have a cool bath or shower
- Check on neighbours, friends, and family
- Do not leave anyone or an animal in the car
For life-threatening emergencies, dial 000. To reach a nurse for 24-hour health advice, contact Nurse on Call at 1300 60 60 24.