WHAT advice would you give to new students heading to Australia for the first time? We’re looking for story ideas as well as contributors.
Some tips we’ve heard you say so far through your tweets:
- Talk to everyone
- Try to make as many friends as you can during O-Week
- Make an effort to say “hi” to people in your lectures/tutorials
- Keep an open mind.
- Wear deodorant and wait patiently in queues
- Always validate your tram ticket/MyKi
- Don’t slack (too much) on the first week of uni.
- Pick up a local paper to stay current with Australian news
- Work hard, buy a car and travel around the whole country – the Nullarbor, Northern Territory, Perth
- If you’re invited to a party and asked to “bring a plate”, it means with food on it
And story ideas….
- Student cheap eats guide. Story now in progress – help add to our list in the comments section below.
- Where to find home food
- Good places to buy food/groceries – Victoria Market, Woolworths, Asian groceries
- “Coffee Crawl” – The best coffees in town
- 101 ways to assimilate into the Aussie culture
- Learning the Australian lingo.
Story now in progress – help Meld reporter Fiona Ren (firstname.lastname@example.org) come up with a list of phrases every international student needs to know.Published.
- Backpacking in Australia
- City landmarks – Places worth exploring – Crown, DFO, Camberwell Flea Market…
- Transportation and the many types of Metcards that exist
Last updated Tuesday, February 20, 2012.