MELBOURNE will soon be transformed into one of the funniest places on earth as comedians from all around the world descend on the Melbourne International Comedy Festival taking place from March 28 to April 22.
In its 26th year, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is one of the top three largest comedy festivals in the world, tickling the sides of more than 50,000 people last year.
There are an unbelievable 422 shows to choose from this season ranging from stand-up comedy to visual arts, and if you’re feeling spoilt for choice , we’ve got couple of shows we think you may enjoy.
Ticket prices average at about $22 a show, costing you a little more than what you’d normally fork out for a movie on student concession rates.
But, there are ways of scoring yourself a better deal:
- Catch a preview show on the opening week (Wednesday March 28 till Sunday, April 1) for discounted ticket prices with tickets for as low as $10!
- Go on ‘Tightarse Tuesday’ where most shows will be available at a discounted rate.
- Take a group of friends. Many shows have discounted ticket prices for group bookings for groups with more than three people (depending on the show).
- Show a valid concession. Concession prices apply to full-time students (26 years and under), full pensioners, Senior Card holders, the unemployed and children under 16 years. Concession prices may not be available for some performances.
- Buy a ‘Laugh Pack’. When you book and pay for three different shows available on sale through Ticketmaster at the same time, you will be eligible for a discounted price for all shows. Bookings must be made by phone, or in person at any Ticketmaster outlet and at the Comedy Festival Box Office at Melbourne Town Hall and Trades Hall. Laugh Packs are not available through online purchases.
If you’ve got an iPhone, do download the free comedy festival app to find out about shows taking place each day; search the 2012 program by title, date, venue and category; browse venues by name and locations nearest you; find your way to shows through the venue maps and more.
The Melbourne International Comedy Festival takes place from March 28 to April 22. Tickets to most Comedy Festival events can be purchased online through Melbourne International Comedy Festival’s website, through Ticketmaster either by phoning 1300 660 013 or by visiting a Comedy Festival Box Office outlet near you.
Watch out for our comedy festival reviews coming soon.