INTERESTED in becoming the next sports/tech editor at Meld Magazine? Yes, we are looking. Applications now open till September 15, 2013 – don’t miss out!
As our current editor Leon Saw transitions to a new role in Meld, the search is now on for a new sports/tech editor. The position is suitable for journalism students looking to gain editorial experience in the fields of sports and tech. Beyond having an interest in a wide variety of sports, video games and newfangled gadgets and technology, the ideal candidate should be confident and comfortable with relating to Meld’s international student audience.
- Casting editorial vision for the sports and tech sections
- Working with reporters, photographers and videographers to generate story ideas
- Commissioning stories and organising for photoshoots and/or other graphics/illustrations
- Working with editors to finalise a weekly news list
- Taking on some writing duties if there are no reporters available
- Providing guidance to reporters and any other assistance they may need, such as deciding on a story angle, questions to ask during interviews, where to look for resources, getting in touch with the right people
- Following up with reporters to ensure copy is filed on time
- Following up with photographers to ensure photos are ready
- Using WordPress, edit copy and include relevant hyperlinks, upload photos, write photo captions, headline and excerpts, setting the featured image and filling in category and post tags etc
We will provide you training in using WordPress as well as basic Search Engine Optimisation know-how, and other competencies that would be useful in the digital newsroom.
As this is a senior position at Meld Magazine, it would be ideal if you could commit to two half days per week, on top of any time you may need to fulfil your duties. Hours are flexible and you are free to work from home except to meet for weekly editors meetings and fortnightly news meetings with the entire editorial team.
As a volunteer-run organisation, this position is unpaid, but is an excellent opportunity for final year university students and recent university graduates to apply their skills and knowledge in a practical working environment, continue learning and make some great contacts along the way.
To confirm your interest, please email a CV and cover letter, and recent academic transcripts to email@example.com by September 15, 2013.
**Based in Carlton, Meld Magazine was incorporated as an independent not-for-profit media outlet in September 2008 to reach out to international students in Australia, and provide students the opportunity to gain real work experience. The founders of this magazine include present and former international students from various industries, including media and marketing, business, law and international student services. Visit Meld’s About Us page for more information about the organisation.