The Council of International Students Australia (CISA) has elected a new executive team to represent Australia’s vast population of international students, following its recent National Conference in Cairns.
Returning as CISA President is Bijay Sapkota who last year led the committee to campaign and strongly advocate on issues around international student exploitation at the workplace. Joining Mr Sapkota in this year’s committee are:
- President: Bijay Sapkota
- Vice-President: Ralph Teodoro
- Secretary: Benjamin Poveda Alfonso
- Treasurer: Rakhi Mukherjee
- Public Relations Officer: Maria Shumusti
- Women’s Officer: Belle Lim
- Welfare Officer: Kasun Kalhara
- Postgraduate Officer: Ayub Alam Khan
- VET/TAFE Officer: Donny Doughty
Executive team roles for the Undergraduate Officer, Equity Officer and Education Officer however are currently vacant.
“The current executive team [is] collectively approaching the situation and joint decision will be made and announced on the subject,” the new CISA National Public Relations Officer, Maria Shumusti, said in a statement to Meld.
“We have an amalgamated mix of diverse talents and leadership on board, and we look forward to working together in achieving our goals for the organisation and the community of international students,” she expanded.