Funlette – The Food Series
Our last but not least of The Food Series, as well as getting you ready for summer breakfast. Emily teaches us how to spice/or zhush up our morning eggs – The Meld Team
See what I did there? I replaced ‘Om’ with ‘fun’ because this is no ordinary omelette….it’s a fun-lette 🍳.
Feeds one cold belly
- Two eggs
- Tiny splash of milk (1 tbsp)
- Two pinches of salt
- Pinch of Turmeric powder
- herbs of your choosing (I’m using fenugreek)
- Neutral flavoured cooking oil
- Heat a small non-stick pan with a glug of neutral oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). While you’re waiting for it to heat up…
- Crack two eggs in a small bowl adding turmeric, milk and salt. Mix till everything is combined or until you lift your fork and the egg mixture runs smooth.
- Your pan should be hot. That means small wisps of smoke rising from the surface.
- This is the tricky part; add your egg mixture to the pan, wait six seconds (count out loud so I can hear you from my apartment), then using a plastic spatula slide one side of the fun-lette to the other side, continue this motion back-and-forth/side-to-side until you get ripples or folds. The top should be a little bit wet and the bottom set. If you like your omelette completely cooked cover with a lid.
- Slide gently onto a plate and top with a flurry of spice, sprinkle of flakey salt and herbs of your liking.
This piece and images were contributed by ex-Meld journalist and our very dear friend Emily Hua. Stay tuned for more recipes and good attempts from her and others in the team. Be sure to tag your creation to our Instagram to be featured in our page.