LOOKING for casual work? Life Saving Victoria is offering 10 international students the chance to train to be a pool lifeguard and go on to undertake paid work.
Life Saving Victoria is sponsoring 10 international students towards the completion of a Senior First Aid and Pool Lifeguard Award, and following that, the chance to undertake paid pool lifeguard work at local swimming centres in Victoria.
It’s an exceptional opportunity especially for those who have an interest in water safety, and would like to gain some casual work experience.
Participants would normally be required to pay $190 and $247 for the Senior First Aid and Pool Lifeguard courses respectively, but Life Saving Victoria multicultural program officer Olivia Skillern said the courses would be a “free of charge opportunity” for the 10 successful applicants.
“However we do have some criteria that we would need to cover first. We would want the students to work in Aquatic facilities after completing the course and therefore, we are looking at students who would be continuing to stay in Australia for a while for their studies,” Ms Skillern said.
To be eligible, applicants will need to be:
- 16 years of age or older
- Able to swim 200 meters in under 6 minutes (any recognised stroke)
- Able to swim 25 metres, then tow a person 23 metres in less than 1 minute 45 seconds; and
- In Australia for a minimum of one year to utilise the award for work purposes.
The two-day Senior First Aid course begins as early as May 12, and successful applicants will be able to undergo training at either the Clayton Aquatics and Health Club (Cooke St, Clayton), or the Life Saving Victoria State Centre (corner Todd Rd and The Boulevard, Port Melbourne).
The Pool Lifeguard course will be delivered over three days from May 4 at either the Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre (1 Aquatic Dr, Maribyrnong) or the Monash Aquatic and Recreation Centre (626 Waverley Rd, Glen Waverley).
Senior First Aid
Clayton Aquatics and Health Club
- Saturday, 12 May 2012, 8:30am – 6pm
- Sunday, 13 May 2012, 8:30am – 6pm
Life Saving Victoria State Centre
- Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 8:30am – 6pm
- Thursday, 24 May 2012, 8:30am – 6pm
Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre
- Friday, 04 May 2012, 5pm – 9pm
- Saturday, 05 May 2012, 8am – 6pm
- Sunday, 06 May 2012, 8am – 6pm
Monash Aquatic and Recreation Centre
- Friday, 18 May 2012, 4pm – 8pm
- Saturday, 19 May 2012, 8am – 6pm
- Sunday, 20 May 2012, 8am – 6pm
Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre
- Friday, 15 June 2012, 5pm – 9pm
- Saturday, 16 June 2012, 8am – 6pm
- Sunday, 17 June 2012, 8am – 6pm
For more information and to express interest please contact Olivia Skillern from Life Saving Victoria at email@example.com.