Australia’s leading international student news website

Why students should make use of their campus’ housing and accommodation welfare

Trinity College Foundation Studies

Wed Jul 13 2016


EXPERIENCING housing and accommodation issues? Trinity College Foundation Studies students Linnie, Meng Zhang and Patrick Shangguan suggest why students should make use of their campus’ welfare teams who can easily resolve problems for students. 


Before students can even begin their studies abroad, there are many things that they need to settle on before they come into the country. Accommodation is on the top of that list and while some students luck into fortunate experiences once they arrive, others end up in unwanted circumstances.

“It [was] a terrible experience for me” admitted Peter, an international student who, like many, has had to experience difficulty when it came to finding suitable accommodation during overseas study.

Without seeking professional assistance, Peter wound up in a highly priced apartment he found online; an apartment that didn’t meet what he had expected. He and his roommate’s were always at odds with arguments becoming the norm between the two and, after a few weeks of living in that space, Peter then decided to move. The only problem was that he didn’t know how to find a new place to live in.

For students like Peter who want to move but don’t know who to seek, educational institutes do have staff on site who can help students find accommodation.

Jennifer Walsh, manager of Trinity College’s Housing & Accommodation, says her office has two components: one for future students and the other for students who wish to change accommodation.

Ms Walsh and her team helps students at Trinity College by providing suggestion and options on where they could potentially move. They also keep in touch with those students to make sure things are going ahead smoothly in their new home.

As for foundation studies students who are under the age of 18, support is also available to them.

On tips that Ms Walsh has for new students looking to avoid any accommodation and living troubles, Ms Walsh recommends that students have “a sense of what their life skills are” and incorporate that into their decision-making when settling on a place to live.

For example, if a student isn’t good at cooking, accommodation that has plenty of options for food nearby might be more ideal.

Additionally, students should take every precaution they can before settling on accommodation.

Make sure every part of that space is inspected thoroughly from its rooms, prices, location and general safety as you will need to know that you can feel comfortable living in this place for what may be the next couple of years.

So for students who want to move out, find new accommodation or find themselves in situations that might complicate their living experience while studying overseas, we advise that your first point of action is to talk to the accommodation officers at your campus.

Trinity College Foundation Studies students can message Ms Walsh directly at her email ( or go directly to the welfare office (located on ground floor and the fifth floor of 200 Victoria St, Carlton). You can also talk to your mentors about any issues you might have and they too can contact welfare on your behalf.

This story was produced by Media and Communication students at Trinity College Foundation Studies as part of Meld’s community newsroom collaboration. Education institutions, student clubs/societies and community groups interested in being involved can get in touch with us via